In order to experience all of the amazing culture and historic attractions of Myanmar, you’ll need a visa to visit! It makes sense, then, that one of the first questions many would-be visitors ask is how to get a tourist visa.
Luckily, the process of applying for a visa to Myanmar is actually very simple and straightforward. Since 2014, visa applications have been processed online, meaning it is quick and easy to apply, and you don’t need to send away your passport for processing.
In this guide, we’ll take you through how to apply so that you can receive your visa without any worry or hassle.
In order to visit Myanmar, visitors from most countries will require a visa to be arranged beforehand. The only exception to this is the citizens of Brunei, Laos, Cambodia, Indonesia, Thailand, Vietnam, and the Philippines, who do not need a visa for stays of less than 14 days.
For those who do require a visa, the process is usually very straightforward. Citizens of more than 100 countries (including Australia, the United Kingdom, the European Union countries, the United States, Canada, Singapore, Japan and China) can all apply for the visa online.
Of course, you can still apply for the visa at a Myanmar embassy, if you’d prefer. However, this is usually slower and requires sending off your passport to the embassy. Generally, applying online will be your easiest option.
The process to apply online is simple – we will walk you through in detail shortly. If you search online, you’ll find many companies that specialise in applying for visas to Myanmar, for a fee. Unless there are special circumstances around your visa (for example you want a work permit), it is usually not necessary to pay someone to apply for the visa for you.
What do you need to apply for the Myanmar tourist visa online?
Before you get started with your application, make sure that you meet the following requirements to apply for an online tourist visa to Myanmar:
- You have a passport from one of the 100 accepted countries [Link: https://evisa.moip.gov.mm/NoticetoTourists.aspx]
- Your passport is valid for at least six months from the date that you wish to arrive in Myanmar, and it has at least two free pages for stamps
- You have a colour photograph that was taken in the last three months
- You are travelling for tourism purposes, for a maximum of 28 days
- You are entering Myanmar through one of the following border points:
- Yangon International Airport
- Mandalay International Airport
- Nay Pyi Taw International Airport
- Tachileik Land Border Checkpoint
- Myawaddy Land Border Checkpoint
- Kawthaung Land Border Checkpoint
- You have a credit card to pay the appropriate fee
How to apply for the Myanmar tourist visa
Your tourist visa to Myanmar is valid for a maximum of 90 days from the date of issue. Therefore, you must not apply for your visa to Myanmar any earlier than 90 days before your arrival date.
On the other hand, you will want to leave a minimum of three days for your visa to be processed. While it is usually a quick and easy process, there can be delays or issues with the website, so we highly recommend applying for your visa well in advance of your travel – a month or two before is ideal.
Note – there is an “expedited application” process for visitors who need a visa within 24 hours – but it’s generally easier and less stressful to make sure you leave plenty of time to get your visa to Myanmar!
Once it’s time to apply, here is the process, step by step –
- Go to https://evisa.moip.gov.mm/ and click on the “Apply E-Visa” button toward the bottom of the screen.
- Fill out all of the details on the screen, paying close attention to make sure that all of your personal details are correct. Note, you can save your application and return later.
- Aside from your personal information and documents, you will also need to provide information about where you are staying and what you are doing in Myanmar, so keep your hotel and tour bookings handy.
- Once you have filled out all of your details and uploaded your documents, double check them and then submit your application.
- You will be asked to pay the application fee by credit card – it is currently $50 USD.
- You will receive a receipt to your email address within an hour or so of submitting your visa application – this is not your acceptance, but save the letter just in case.
- Once your visa application is approved (usually within 3 days), you will receive an official letter of acceptance to your nominated email address.
- Print out this letter and bring it with you to Myanmar – it will be exchanged for a passport stamp at the border.
Overall, the process of applying for a visa online to Myanmar is very straight-forward. It shouldn’t take more than an hour to complete the whole process online, and then you will be ready to enjoy the trip of a lifetime in this enchanting country.
As you can see, there’s no need to be put off travelling to Myanmar because of the visa requirements. Getting a tourist visa is quick, easy and affordable, and is the first step in experiencing all of Myanmar’s charms.
Need help for your trip to Myanmar, our travel experts are ready to assist you. Keep in touch with us here.